Summertime at Helping Hands Center
August 2, 2015
It’s summer camp time at Helping Hands Center. On June 9th, over 100 students, preschool through grade 8, will return to Helping Hands Center for eight weeks of fun, recreation and academic review.
Helping Hands Center organizes camp thematically, with special activities and guests scheduled throughout each week. A preschool classroom might read and explore a book about the theme while a school-aged classroom might go more in-depth on a particular topic or activity. Each week, all classrooms participate in an organized sport and every day, splash in pools and waterslides. This summer, the Wallaby, Bears, Bison, Cardinals and Blue Jays will take weekly trips to the pool.
In 2015, themes and activities include:
- Barnyard Palooza – classrooms explore farm animals and get a visit from Fuzzy Friends. Yoga is the sport of the week.
- Under the Big Top –faces will be painted and this year, Columbus Juggler Dave Kaplan will visit Helping Hands Center to perform for students (http://www.davidkaplanshow.com/movies.html). Gymnastics is the sport of the week.
- Parks and Rec – students will explore their community. From kayaking to meeting the Columbus Mounted Police and exploring a camping station, Helping Hands Center’s students will discover all things recreational. Kickball will be the sport of the week.
- Party in the USA – Helping Hands Center’s annual 4th of July celebration will take place with a family gathering on the grounds and a parade around the block. Basketball will be the sport of the week.
- Music and Arts – for the third year, Helping Hands Center will explore the arts, from taiko drums with Eric “the Fish” to making art with Katy Sanford, the halls will be filled with music and artwork. T-ball will be the sport of the week.
- Around the World – This week, classrooms have the opportunity to learn about and share a new culture. Soccer, the most popular sport in the world, will be the sport of the week.
- Sensational Science – students will explore all things science, including the new garden on Helping Hands Center’s grounds. A naturalist from Sharon Woods will visit, and Track & Field is the sport of the week.
- Wacky & Wonderful – our last week of camp, it’s a time to revisit favorite activities or try something new. Coach Chris, a camp perennial favorite, will visit, and we’ll end summer camp with camp-sing-a-long!
We are always looking for new guests and activities, so if you have a special talent to share, please let us know!
Camp begin June 9th and ends July 30th. For more information about all of Helping Hands Center’s programs, please visit www.helpinghandscenter.com or https://www.facebook.com/pages/Helping-Hands-Center-for-Special-Needs/140882449291032.